United States unemployment rate is the lowest it has been since August 2007, setting the stage for an imminent interest rate hike from the Federal Reserve in the near future. JLL’s employment report digs into the data and the trends.
The November 2016 employment summary includes:
- The U.S. labor market added 178,000 net new jobs in November, consistent with monthly additions during the second half of 2016 but below the year-to-date and 2015 averages.
- Labor-market tightening … Read More
The U.S. Industrial market is going strong, as absorption rates continued to hit new highs in the third quarter of 2016. JLL’s report identified five key themes that have emerged across the country.
Below are highlights from the top three themes in JLL’s Q3 U.S. Industrial Investment Outlook report:
The U.S. industrial… Read More
- After registering negative absorption earlier this year, a rebound in leasing velocity changed the course of the Northern New Jersey Class A market during the past six months. Demand for Class A space led to 335,970 square feet being absorbed in the second quarter, followed by an additional 501,450 square feet … Read More
JLL’s holiday forecast is a combination of findings of two surveys: one of shoppers and the other of retail store managers. By merging the expectations of both buyer and seller, the hope was to gain a more complete understanding of holiday shopping habits.
JLL surveyed nearly 2,800 shoppers of 31 shopping centers in… Read More
- Northern and Central New Jersey’s new industrial development has become concentrated among a small group of institutional developers. 67.4 percent of all new development this cycle was controlled by the 10 largest developers in the market. Furthermore, an additional 13.6 percent of new construction was controlled by the next 10 largest … Read More
The technology sector is still the leading industry for real estate expansion and employment growth. JLL’s 2016 Tech Outlook features everything you need to know about tech today in the United States.
Top Five National Trends to Watch
- Technology remains the leading industry for real estate expansion in the United States and has quickly become a key economic driver in many cities.
- National tech employment may be slowing, but it’s still driving employment growth … Read More
- While banking/financial services and pharmaceutical/life sciences have historically accounted for a large portion of Northern and Central New Jersey office demand, information/technology companies recently stepped into the batter’s box. This sector accounted for nearly one-third of leasing activity during the third quarter compared to less than 10.0 percent of transactions one … Read More
JLL’s Jerry Sullivan, senior vice president of New Jersey’s project and development services (PDS), shares the impact of upgrading the workplace to encourage collaboration and productivity.
Given the trends we are tracking in the workplace, Sullivan indicates “Greater focus on including programmed work areas that have mixed-use, multi-functional attributes for meetings, work activities and socialization are becoming important benefits to employees when they evaluate their work experience.”
JLL’s New Jersey 2016 Life Sciences Outlook highlights that the pharmaceutical/life sciences industry has become one of New Jersey’s leading economic engines within the last 130 years. The state claims the headquarters or operations for 13 of the 20 largest pharmaceutical/life sciences companies.